Thursday, July 11, 2013

Every saga has a beginning...

It's looking like the majority of these first posts are going to be just introductory.  Upon creating this, it was really just for me, but if people are going to be seeing it, they may as well get the whole story.  Plus I love telling it.

Today I shall tell you how Alyssa and I came to be.  Pop some corn and fasten your seat belts.

First, it would be helpful to know that my older sister and Alyssa's older sister were best friends in high school.  Unbeknownst to us, that would come very much in handy.

Alyssa and I attended the same high school.  I'm a year older than she, and all of this went down in my senior year (her junior year).  If you know me, you know that I'm a musician through and through.  It's basically an essential part of me in a very deep sense.  Being my senior year, I wanted to take advantage of all of the opportunities I could to play music in every situation that I could.  I volunteered to accompany people, got in every music class I could (like 6 of my 8 classes were ensembles or independent study or free periods where I could practice... for reals), joined several bands, and took every other chance I got to play music.  Most significant of these was a certain musical produced by the high school.

I had no idea what the musical was about or what the music was like, but I signed up right away to play guitar in it.  Little did I know that decision would change my life forever.  I remember very clearly the first day of rehearsals.  I was already all set up in the band room (I basically spent my life in there anyway) warming up.  This musical (Aida) required two pianists, but there was only one piano in the band room.  As the director was asking for help to bring in the second piano, she directed my attention to a certain stunningly gorgeous girl with short blonde hair, dazzling blue eyes, and heeled boots... to boot (good one, right?).  Needless to say, I was floored.

At that very moment, I had the strongest feeling that I needed to meet that girl, go out with her, and eventually marry her.  This was totally unexpected, especially with the state I was in at the time.  I'd just been through a rough breakup and was not looking for any significant other besides more guitars.  My theme song at the time was "I Don't Believe in Love" by Queensryche (great song, by the way).  Fortunately, that feeling that came was almost literally overpowering and I let my resistance dissipate.  I didn't know why I felt that or where it came from, but I knew that it felt right and that I needed to follow it.

Quickly, I volunteered to help move a piano (I wouldn't have normally done that...), and started trying to figure out how to strike up a conversation with this girl.  Unfortunately for me, I was a social outcast in high school.  I couldn't talk to someone new or make a new friend to save my life, so that plan failed epically.  That cycle continued for the next few rehearsals, and we eventually began practicing in the auditorium, which worked out great.  In the band room, she sat on the other side of the room from me; in the auditorium, she sat right behind me.  One day, after mustering a whole lot of courage, I decided to talk to her.  I used the only real piece of information I had about her: the connection between our sisters.  She had also realized it, but wasn't sure, so didn't say anything.  Thus was the beginning of what would become one of the most special relationships in my life.

I'd like to just finish there and say "the rest is history", but that would be a huge lie.  Unfortunately, I'm a little detailed in my storytelling, so this will be the end of part 1 of episode 1.  Stay tuned for more action, adventure, romance, and laughs as the saga continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment