Saturday, August 10, 2013

We Survived It

So all of last week, Lys went on a family trip to San Francisco.  Naturally, that originally looked like it was going to suck and I wouldn't see her for a week.  It actually worked out pretty well, though, and now she's back and we're happier than ever.

 Skype was a lifesaver.

It was interesting to see the way my attitude changed over the course of the week.  At first, it was just going to suck and I'd be bored and sad and have nothing to do.  By the end of the week, I was ok with her being gone.  I missed her like I never have before, but it was a very peaceful kind of missing.  There was really nothing negative about it.  I guess just calling it a longing would be more correct.

What I learned from this is that although I'm certain that Alyssa completes me and makes me so much better than I ever will be without her, I can stand on my own.  I've developed enough as a person to live my own life.  There's something strange about how that kind of independence has made our relationship stronger.  It would seem to me that knowing that I can be independent would mean I would be less dependent and less interested in being with her all the time.  However, knowing that I'm my own person and she is also makes me just want to have that chemistry with both of our personalities.  I guess that's all that I'm getting at: we have great chemistry.

Thanks to that realization, I've uncovered yet more new levels of love for her.  That's probably one of my favorite parts of this relationship.  I always get to a point where I just wonder how I could ever love her more, then we figure it out and I do.  It's great!

That along with a few personal goals/resolutions have combined to make this last week with her gone a pretty good one.

But having her back is even better.




Before I left, I always used to tell her, "It'll all be worth it." Even though we aren't married or even engaged yet, I can definitely say that it was all worth it.  She's the greatest thing that's ever happened to me, and having left her for so long then coming back to her was maybe the best thing that's happened to us so far. 

In summary:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder


No comments:

Post a Comment