Thursday, August 15, 2013

Gratitude

Reviewing Alyssa's blog and realizing that she is a way better person than I am has made me come to the conclusion that I must make a list of all the things I can think of that I'm grateful for right now.  It's something I've always struggled with: being grateful.  I improved a lot during my mission, but now being home and having all of my comforts and being back in the normal routine has kind of swallowed up the concerted effort I made to be grateful on my mission.

That must change.

Without further ado, I present my current grateful list:

Alyssa, her example, Christ, The Atonement, grace, God's unfailing love, His plan, revelation, a capable mind, a functional body, feelings, organization, technology, having grown up in a family where the gospel was taught, having my basic needs met always, people who love me enough to correct me, the scriptures, prayer, other prime examples of disciples in my life, my ability to imitate, spiritual gifts, work, people's interest in my overall well-being, family, friends, temples, the priesthood, music, the Spirit, service, and hope.

That's everything that I've been particularly grateful for lately.  The list will be much longer when I've thought more and had more experiences to help me be more grateful for more things.  I could spend a whole day in my mission praying for things I was grateful for.  I want to be able to do that again.

Writing this post, it made me think why it even bothered me that I don't feel as grateful as I used to.  I'm certain that gratitude is a godly trait.  I'm certain that Heavenly Father is sincerely grateful for our efforts to be grateful.  I'll keep working on it so that I can please Him and become a little tiny bit more like Him.  Maybe before too long it'll be almost effortless and natural to be grateful.  I think that's my goal: to naturally be more grateful and also to express it when I feel it.  I lack a lot in a lot of areas, but I think that's a great place to start.  Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment